What is Chrissy's Closet?
Chrissy's Closet is a free store for CSISD students to obtain new or gently used clothes, shoes, coats, and personal hygiene items once per month. Nearly 34% of CSISD’s population qualifies for Free or Reduced Lunch. This means 4,632 students may not have access to items needed to arrive at school clean, warm, and ready to learn. Currently, 49 of our students are considered homeless. Our goal is to help students and their families to feel positively about themselves, CSISD, and attending school.
Why is it Called Chrissy's Closet?
While working on plans for a place that would help countless students and families in our district- one name kept coming to mind- Chrissy Hester. From her time as an elementary and secondary counselor, to her principalship and till now as Director for Student Services, Chrissy has touched the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of needy families over the past 30 plus years. There isn't a person in CSISD that helps more families and staff members on a daily basis than Chrissy does. We thought naming the closet after her would be a great way to honor a truly amazing woman for all that she does and all that she means to us in CSISD.
How does Chrissy's Closet work?
- Three clothing drives a year are held on a Saturday morning: Fall, Spring, & Summer
- Seasonal drives for items are held: coats, backpacks, Halloween costumes, homecoming/prom dresses
- Volunteers help sort, hang, and organize donations
- Families with one or more CSISD student or any CSISD employee may visit the clothing closet once per month. Five items per student/employee per month are allowed including 1 pair of shoes per semester and 2 toiletries per month.
- CSISD staff members, student groups, PTO members, community members, and A&M students, man the Clothing Closet each week. Volunteer Information can be found HERE.